If you’re seeking professional orthodontic treatment in Brisbane, look no further than Skye Dental. Braces and orthodontics are among the most commonly needed dental accessories. Straight teeth and a healthy-looking smile isn’t all that orthodontics focus on. During the consultation we will professionally assess your bite and tooth placement during the assessment appointment. Using state-of-the-art technology and a fresh approach, Skye Dental’s professional orthodontic treatment in Brisbane can assist with:
- Teeth and/or jaw irregularities
- Impacted or missing teeth
- Improving functionality and speech
- Correcting the bite
- Correcting teeth positioning
- Improve your smile
Which foods to avoid?
When undergoing orthodontics, its best to stay away from the following:
- Chewy foods such as liquorice or bagels
- Foods that you bite into with your front teeth such as apples and corn cobs
- Crunchy foods like ice, potato chips and popcorn
- Sticky foods, especially gum and caramel
- Hard foods like pizza crusts, pretzels and cookies
- Extra hard foods like hard candies and nuts
- Also avoid chewing on anything hard, like your nails or pens.
Eating these foods can cause damage, which can make the treatment last longer! It may be time to replace those nervous habits if you’re used to biting on things when you’re anxious too as this can damage your braces, and therefore slow down treatment.
Just because you can’t bite into things like apples or corn on the cob, that doesn’t mean that you can’t eat them at all. Get in the habit of cutting your food into bite-sized pieces. It’s a good idea to chew with your back teeth instead of your front teeth, too. It’s especially important to chew with your back teeth if the food is extra hard.
What are some tips for eating with braces?
You should never bite into food with your front teeth, which is why you should steer clear of whole apples, pears, and other similar foods. However, even if the food isn’t hard, you should still avoid biting into it with your front teeth. For example, barbecue ribs may be soft, but biting into them with your front teeth can damage your hardware.
Which foods can I enjoy?
Now that you know which foods you should stay away from, it’s time to enjoy the foods that you can eat! The following foods are completely fine to indulge in:
- Dairy, including soft cheeses, yogurt, and pudding.
- Bread that isn’t hard, including sandwich bread, tortillas, muffins, biscuits, and pancakes.
- Grains, like soft rice, noodles, and pasta.
- Soft-cooked meats and poultry, including lunch meat and meatballs.
- Seafood, so long as it doesn’t have any bones. Enjoy tuna, crab, crab cakes and salmon.
- Veggies, like peas, yams, beans, steamed spinach and mashed potatoes.
- Soft fruits, like banana and applesauce, as well as fruit juice.
- Desserts and treats including ice cream, smoothies, cake, milkshakes and Jell-O.
- You can also eat eggs, hot dogs, chili and porridge.
Don’t forget to brush!
One of the most important steps to caring for you orthodontic hardware is to brush your teeth more than ever! Brushing and flossing are especially important after an orthodontic treatment. The cleaner you’re able to keep everything, the more effective the hardware will be.
We also offer Invisalign as an invisible way to straighten your teeth. This is two clear- removal aligners that need to be worn for 22 hours a day and will gradually move your teeth into your favoured position. These aligners are custom made for your own individual mouth.
No matter your age, we welcome children, teenagers, and adults alike to stop by our clinic for a FREE 15-minute consultation to determine eligibility for braces or orthodontics.
What are you waiting for? Get the smile of your dreams with Skye Dental’s professional orthodontic treatment in Brisbane. To find out more about orthodontics or braces, please get in contact with our friendly team on 07 3823 1896 or use our simple online booking system on www.skyedental.com.au to make an appointment.