If you’re seeking a quality tooth bridge or dental crown procedure in Brisbane, look no further than Skye Dental. Dental crowns and tooth bridges are fixed prosthetic devices that are designed to be cemented onto existing teeth to cover or replace teeth with an array of dental problems.
For some people, having decayed, damaged, chipped or cracked teeth can’t be saved with fillings alone. A crown may be needed to restore the tooth to its original size and shape, while providing it added strength and resilience.
Also commonly referred to as a cap, a crown shields and strengthens the tooth by encasing it with a protective coating placed over the tooth from just above the gum line. While materials such as gold or acrylic resin can be used to manufacture crowns, many of our patients prefer porcelain or porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns. Our porcelain crowns are custom made by a local ceramist to resemble your original tooth as closely as possible. And because porcelain tends to reflect the light the way your teeth do, it offers the most natural appearance.
Skye Dental’s quality dental crown procedure in Brisbane can assist with the following:
- Restore/replace fractured teeth
- Disguise dental implants
- Cover discoloured teeth
- Conceal root canaled teeth
- Cover misaligned teeth
- Replace teeth with large fillings
- Cover decaying teeth
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Attach a bridge
If you want an effective solution to strengthen a damaged tooth or to simply improve the shape, alignment or appearance of your teeth, our professional dental crown procedure in Brisbane is the answer for you. The primary reasons to get a dental crown include:
- They protect the tooth and root structure of your natural tooth
- If you’ve had root canal treatment, they offer the best long-term prognosis for that tooth
If the tooth is not too damaged, a dental onlay or inlay may be an alternative option to provide a stronger option than a filling. This is a partial crown, made of the same strong ceramic or gold as a full crown.
Inlays and Onlays
This restorative treatment is stronger than a normal filling and more conservative than a dental crown. Tooth coloured reinforced glass or resin provides a strong and durable option for teeth that require extra support and stability. Unlike direct fillings, inlay/onlays are fabricated in a laboratory and bonded in approximately one week after preparation and impressions are taken.
The difference between an inlay and an onlay is that an inlay is the material bonded within the centre of the tooth. An onlay is when the damage or decay requires inclusion of one or more cusps of the tooth or full coverage of the biting surface. These treatments have a number of advantages for the health of your teeth. Here are five of them:
- Tooth coloured: Inlays and onlays are customised, meaning they are stain-resistant and designed to match the colour of your teeth.
- Superior fit: Inlays and onlays are a conservative treatment which aims to preserve as much healthy tooth structure as possible. Because they can be colour-matched and because they are stronger than fillings, they are an excellent choice for treating minimal to moderate tooth decay.
- Strength and stability: Inlays and onlays can not only strengthen a tooth which has suffered minor decay, they also provide a certain level of stability to the surface of the treated tooth.
- Easy cleaning: Inlays/onlays are custom tailored to fit your tooth precisely. This means your treated tooth will be easy to clean and maintain.
- Protect a weak tooth: An onlay is strong enough to protect the weak parts of your tooth with minimal reshaping of the healthy tooth structure.
If you’re missing one or more teeth, a bridge may be the perfect choice for you. A tooth bridge is a non-removable gap fixing solution that is used to replace teeth to restore the appearance and function of the area. If gapped teeth are left unattended for a period of time, the remaining teeth are more susceptible to rotating or shifting into the empty space. This can lead to one or more of the following:
- Bad bite
- Gum disease
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
To find out more information about Skye Dental’s professional dental crown procedure in Brisbane, please get in contact with our friendly team on 07 3823 1896 or use our simple online booking system to make an appointment.