Previously it was a known thing back in the day that the older you get, meant that you would lose some if not all of your teeth as you aged. Thanks to the advances in dentistry and the promotion of caring for your oral health, this is no longer the case. Still many people do lose their teeth every year due to preventable dental disease.
Trying to maintain a healthy smile for life is the theme of this years Dental Health Week 2021. It takes place on the first month of August every year run by the Australian Dental Association help provide awareness of the imporance of preventative oral care for all ages.
The ADA underwent a consumer survey and they reported that:
- 1 in 5 Australian adults don’t brush their teeth twice a day
- Only 27% of patients see the dentists on a regular basis
- 1 in 4 adults floss
- 39% of parents say their children drink 2-5 soft drinks in a week
- 47% of adults claim they consume too much sugar
- 68% of adults only see their dentist if there is a problem
The WHO suggests that an average adult should only consume 5% sugar of their overall total energy intake.
Australian Dental Association Key Messages:
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Clean in between your teeth once a day with floss or interdental brushes
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and limit your sugar intake
- Regular visits to the dentist check ups and preventable treatment
When was your last dental check up?
Are you due for a check up and clean with a dentist, or do you want some advice regarding caring for your teeth and gums? Call our friendly team at Skye Dental conveniently located in Capalaba, Brisbane on 3823 1896 or book online to make an appointment. The friendly team are happy to help and are always available to chat.
References : ada.org.au/Dental-Health-Week/Home
Comments are closed.