You’ve probably heard your dentist ask you to book in for your six-monthly check-up. But do you know why you need dental check-ups and cleans?
Regular check-up and cleans help to keep your gums and teeth healthy. Our dentists will check your teeth for signs of decay and your gums for signs of gingivitis and gum disease. Without regular check-up and cleans areas of decay won’t be able to be monitored. Further, your teeth won’t be professionally cleaned. At Skye Dental we encourage everyone to come in and see one of our friendly dentists to have their dental check-up and clean!
How often should I have a dental check-up?
At Skye Dental we recommend having a check-up and clean every six months. However, we understand this may be different for some patients and depends on what you and one of our dentists discuss. Why not come in for a visit where you can discuss how frequently you should be coming in for your check-up and cleans.
What will happen in my dental check-up?
Check-up and cleans are exactly what they sound like! The dentist will examine your teeth and then give them a thorough clean.
The examination portion:
The dentist will first undertake a thorough examination of your head, jaw, and mouth. This includes:
- Head and neck examination; observing anything out of the ordinary, feeling the jaw joint for clicking and pain, and the muscles around your jaw.
- Mouth examination for signs of oral cancer, diabetes, and vitamin deficiencies.
Your dentist will then undertake an examination of your teeth and gums. This includes:
- Feeling along your gums, and gum recession.
- Checking for loose teeth
- Looking for broken teeth or damaged fillings
- Examining any areas of decay they can visualise with the naked eye.
- Observing tartar and plaque levels on your teeth
- Examining teeth staining.
- Checking your bite
- Evaluating any dental appliances you have on your teeth or you use.
At Skye Dental, our experienced dentists also update your x-rays. X-rays are important because they allow the dentist to observe the state of your teeth and monitor areas of decay. At Skye Dental we also use a Diagnocam, a piece of high tech dental equipment, which allows our dentists to see in between your teeth. This further allows areas of potential decay to be observed and monitored before they turn into an area that needs a filling.
After your dentist has thoroughly examined your mouth and teeth, they will move to the cleaning portion of the check-up and clean visit.
The cleaning portion:
This part of the appointment consists of three main things:
- Removing plaque and tartar
- Polishing and flossing your teeth
- Applying a remineralising treatment
The removal of plaque and tartar can be sensitive. If you know you have sensitive teeth or you suspect you may find this stage sensitive, let your dentist know. They can use desensitising toothpaste or numbing cream to help make the process more comfortable!
What I should do in between dental check-ups:
The six months in between dental check-ups are as important as the check-up visits themselves. Plaque is always forming on your teeth but you can prevent it from building up. So, we recommend the following to keep your teeth and gums healthy, and to make your regular check-up and clean visits as easy as possible:
- Clean your teeth at least twice a day. Ideally, we recommend using an electric toothbrush to clean your teeth. However, you can clean your teeth effectively using a manual brush. So, make sure to brush your gums as well as your teeth!
- Floss daily. If you have forgotten how to floss effectively, come in for an appointment and one of our dentists can show you how to floss your teeth correctly.
For more information about your dental check-up or to book an appointment call 3823 1896 today!
Comments are closed.